Sunday 22 June 2008

Random thoughts etc

Heard overnight that a story I wrote and entered into a competition has made it through the first stage of judging. I know that doesn't really mean a lot at this stage but I've not had a lot of luck with competitions in the past so at least it's something.
I thought I hadn't done much this week but on reflection its been okay. I've written a couple of articles, submitted a story and come up with a couple of ideas to be developed. That's not bad.
I was just thinking yesterday how great it would be to have a writing mentor. A bit like a driving instructor, someone to tell you what you are doing wrong until you get it right. It was just a random thought that I had and anyone who has been with me since the beginnning knows that once its written on here it stays on here.
Speaking of which, thanks to womag I looked up when I started this blog and it will be a year old on Thursday 26th June. I'm nearly one year old.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I'm not sure the concept of right and wrong in writing is necessarily very helpful. The industry seems to be much less deterministic than that. I think there are possibly elements of "better" and "worse" things to do - probably genre specific - but I also think there is a lot of luck involved as well.

Therefore, having a writing mentor for me would not work. I'd end up just being their scribe, rather than a creator of fiction.