Friday 27 February 2009

Time off and baby birds

I haven't been around blogland much this week so I thought I'd take the chance to catch up. My reason for not visiting much has been that Himself and I have been on holiday from work this week. That has also lead to a distinct lack of writing this week too. I did write on Sunday and edited a short story on Monday but I think that's been it. I don't feel bad about that though because, well I just don't. I've also had other things on my mind this week. I am both unhappy and glad to report that my eldest has flown the nest. He told me on Monday and he moved out today. It's left a bit of a vaccuum - maybe I'll write about it. There was something quite sad about one less plate at tea time.
I had a rejection this week but that's okay too. I got positive feedback from the editor who liked my characterisation (they all say that) but it just wasn't right for them. They said that the plot was a bit "slight." I think that was the word they used I think but I might be wrong. I read it and took it on board and then went back to worrying if baby bird's wings are strong enough to support him. But don't worry, I'll go back and take it in properly in a couple of days time.
I've had my week off though now and when the weekend is over I'll knuckle down to work again, both the day job and the writing.
Apologies also to anyone who's comments I haven't replied to. I'll get caught up this weekend.

2 comments:

Annie Wicking said...

Sorry to hear about the rejection. Maybe a short story about baby bird flying the nest will win over the editor next time.

Best wishes,
Annie

Colette McCormick said...

Rejection, as we all sadly know Annie, is part and parcel of our world. C'est la vie and all that. I do think that I will write about baby bird though because it did stir a powerful emotion.