Thursday 18 June 2009

Confused

I've just checked my emails and got very excited when I saw one from the publisher that I sent my Topsy project to with the name of my book in the subject line.
I'm sure you can all guess what I thought.
Sadly no.
However she did say some lovely things about my writing. Unfortunately she said that they could not take it because they are currently only publishing for the professional market and as my book is aimed at the general public they felt that they would not be "able to do justice to the books potential." She said that she would be returning the material so that I could send it to another publisher which she urged me to do.
I know that I should be upset and maybe I am a bit but I'm not sure.

2 comments:

Sheila Norton said...

No - you shouldn't be upset, Gonna Be - although I know you probably are, a bit, and everyone would understand that. It's hard when you get your hopes up like that (seeing the title in the subject line - same thing has happened to me, more than once, and it's a horrid anticlimax isn't it!). But honestly, if an editor has taken the trouble to praise your writing and tell you it deserves publication, you really should be celebrating. As I'm sure you know, they're very busy and normally you wouldn't get that kind of feedback, so it really is encouraging. Good luck with resubmitting it elsewhere. xx

Colette McCormick said...

I suppose I did allow myself to dream for a second when I saw the email but like you pointed out when an editor takes the time out of their busy schedule to write that sort of thing I have to see why they did it and be happy. I replied to the emila thanking her for her kind words, just a quick courtesy thing but received a reply saying that it was "always a pleasure to encorage someone who writes well and who has a story to tell."
It's all good.