Sunday 18 April 2010

Onwards and upwards

I really should get on with chapter 2 but I find myself putting it off. I started it this morning and I've just wasted an hour that I could have spent working on it doing anything but. I think that the enormity of the task has just hit me. My beloved G will be no more. I'm trying to tell myself that the new chapter 1 is better for him not being there and I actually like MC better now as they're not the drip that they were before. Now that has to be a good thing.
Job for the week:
"New" chapter 2 must be finished by next Sunday.
I don't really know why I'm putting it off because like I've said the new chapter 1 is better and the ideas that I've had for the revised version of the book are quite exciting. So I should just get on and do it shouldn't I? "Dear God yes," you all cry.
Okay then, I will.
Sorry G but you are collateral damage and have to be sacrificed for the greater good. It's funny in a way because when Jan reviewed the 2 chapter 1's for me she pointed out that G actually wasn't very nice and that is just the opposite of what I wanted.
Right I'm going to shut up and get on with it. Just needed to give myself a bit of a pep talk. Thanks for listening.
Onwards and upwards.

3 comments:

joanne fox said...

Couldn't you keep G filed away somewhere to use in a different book? You seem attached to him and maybe you just need to find the right place where he will fit in without causing you problems.

I know it can be really hard to settle to working on the thing you know you should be working on. People say to me it'll be better once I get going. Know what? They're right!

Suzanne Ross Jones said...

It is sometimes hard to let go of a character you've become fond of - but it does show you've done your job and created a real person.

Can you put him in new story? It might be easier to write him out of this one if you know it's not the end.

XX

Colette McCormick said...

Joanne - you're right. There's nothing better to get you started than to get started.
Suzanne - Maybe G does deserve his own story. It's not something I'd thought of but now that you and Joanne have both mentioned it that seems like a good idea.
Thanks ladies.