Sunday 12 September 2010

All quiet in the pink pen front

The pink pen has been very quiet for the last week or two. I've been working hard on the day job and have been too tired at the end of the day to do much writing. Sadly that is what pays the bills so has to come first.
I have done a bit of work on NMBK but that must have been about a week ago so that hardly counts and I did come up with a story for my writing group but apart from that, not much else that I can recall.
I had an idea yesterday for a piece of non fiction so I am going to try and start the research on that this week but of I'm honest I'm not sure of the market. It's a light hearted piece that is written not quite in bullet point form but with a short piece written about several things about the same subject. I've written similar pieces before but I'm not sure if the market is still there. I also had another non-fiction idea so maybe I'll give that some thought too. The fiction success seems to have dried up a bit at the moment. What am I saying? Success has - full stop. Never mind - there's always that day job that I mentioned.
I am also planning on submitting a couple of things this week. They are stories that have been either sitting in a folder for a while or have been reworked after rejection but I think they are worth an outing.
I've just checked and I currently have 10 pieces out there but three of them are with TLFF and are coming up to the 3 month deadline so I can probably kiss an acceptance from them good-bye and another one has been with Allas since March. I queries that one a couple of months ago but still haven't heard anything. Maybe I should assume that they haven't received either email and give up on that one.
Oh and of course I shouldn't forget BTL which is currently sitting in a drawer (metaphorically speaking) waiting to sent out to agents. I really should look at somewhere to send that.
So all in all I have a few things to be getting on with and hopefully when I come visiting blogland in a few days I will be able to report that I have been more productive.

7 comments:

Suzanne Ross Jones said...

Hugs, Colette. I haven't managed much writing myself recently, so know how you feel.

Did you know Penguin are acceting unsolicited mss until the end of October?

http://www.penguin.co.uk/static/cs/uk/0/aboutus/index.html#question11

Might be worth trying them with BTL.

Keep going with the short stories, only a matter of time before you get another hit.

XX

joanne fox said...

What is Allas? I keep seeing it mentioned but have had no luck finding it on Google.

Hope one of your submissions will come good for you. I only have 7 out myself at the moment. It's hard sometimes, with a demanding day job, to polish work up to subbing standard.

Paula RC said...

It's always good to have a plan. I wish you lots of luck with your submissions, I'm sure you will have some good news soon.

Colette McCormick said...

Suzanne - i didn't know about Penguin so thanks for the heads up. I'll certainly look into it.

Joanne - Allas is a Swedish magazine. I'm told that their response times can vary a lot but even so I'm not holding out much hope.

Jarmara - Thank you - I hope so.

Flowerpot said...

Good luck Colette - sounds to me like you're being a little hard on yourself though. Best of luck with it all.

HelenMWalters said...

Here's hoping for some good news soon x

Colette McCormick said...

FP - I probably sound harder on myself than I actually am because I usually forget how bad I felt very quickly. The memory span of a goldfish comes in handy sometimes.

Thanks Helen - fingers crossed.