Thursday 20 September 2012

A bit of a ramble.

Okay okay, so I know that I said that I was giving up writing  with a view to publication but you know what a person is allowed to change their mind.
I have spent the last few weeks just writing for fun and falling in love with it again and now I think that I am ready (mentally at least) to send stuff out into the big wide world again. I have a couple of non fiction projects swirling around my head as we speak but nothing on paper (or screen) yet. However that is for another day, or maybe even later today of I can get a minute.
Anyway, I have a question, a thought, a rambling call it what you will that I thought I would share with you and invite comment on.
My novel "BTL" is finished and frankly getting a bit dusty in its cyber folder. Personally I love it but I would wouldn't I so my opinion counts for nothing here butI have let other people, both close friends and critics alike, read it and as yet I have not had a negative comment about it from a reader. Well my dear friend Jan who is a commissioning director (whatever that is but it always impresses me when I see it on an email) for an art publisher, did say that she didn't like the names of 2 of the characters. I think I called them Dave and Steve but she thought they should have been called something else. She's American so probably wanted them called Dwight and Marshall (both very good names on the right person) or something but as these charcters were in the book for about a page and a half I didn't bother changing them. Anyway that is what the people I know have said about it. All of these people (including Jan) are writers in their own right.
I have also sent it to a few agents who again have not really had anything mega bad to say about it just that they aren't "in love" with it which I suppose is pretty vital if you're going to represent a book and a writer. One agent, bless her heart, even said it was beautifully written.
I am getting to the point of this ramble (yes it is a ramble but with a question coming up now) and I am thinking of self publishing - what do you think? Is it a lazy way out? Is it a sign of failure? I mean, I remember years ago when I first started writing, the plan was to get other people to pay me to write.
Just a thought.

10 comments:

Paula RC said...

My friend Linda is doing very well with her kindling she had just posted her fourth book, I think and has made a pretty penny from them. so go for it I say if you feel it's right for you.

By the way, please would you be so kind as to download the children's book posted on my blog to help promote it for the young author's who has their short stories published in it. Thank you.

Colette McCormick said...

I certainly will download it pauls and thanks for telling me about your friend.

Teresa Ashby said...

Have you tried sending it direct to publishers? Might be worth a try before you decide what to do next x

Colette McCormick said...

No I haven't Theresa. I just assumed that it would have to go through an agent. i would certainly be worth a try. Thanks

Colette McCormick said...

Apologies to both of you (but especially Paula (not pauls) for the typos in my responses. Note to self - read before pressing publish.

Frances Garrood said...

Self publishing seems to be taking off, while traditional publishers are increasingly reluctant to take on new writers. Its a really difficult time for everyone. If you do self publish, it is really worth getting the book properly edited. I don't think anyone can really edit their own work. If you are thinking of publishing for Kindle, there's a helpful book called Making a Killing on Kindle ( or something like that) which has lots of tips. But I think it's only available on Kindle! But don't abandon your book. You believe in it. Let it have a chance! Good luck.

Anonymous said...

If you do decide to self-publish one or more projects, then I recommend you use a pen-name, or at least a different name to the one(s) you use for traditional publishing routes. That way you can isolate yourself from potential pitfalls.

Colette McCormick said...

Thanks Frances - I know you're right.
Sound advice Captain. I shall have to come up with a nom de plume.

Unknown said...

thanks for sharing your life journey with someone

Colette McCormick said...

My pleasure Jinnifer