Monday 11 February 2013

Friends

I asked my very good friend JW what she thought I should do about the editorial service dilemma. I have known JW for 30 odd years and although she is more of an artist ( well a very successful one) than a writer in her job commissioning artwork she is pretty savvy about things.
Anyway, like me she was initially sceptical but she asked if she could see the 300 words that I sent as well as the whole email reply so that she can judge better. I'm waiting for the verdict. She also asked if I knew anyone personally that could do it and I said that I didn't. At least I don't think I do. Anyone an editor on the quiet?
Another friend RS who does write but just for fun not publication asked me if I had considered that the sample might actually be almost flawless grammatically and create the atmosphere that the editor described. After all, wasn't that what I was going for. Oddly enough no I hadn't but that might be because I know I'm not William Shakespeare. Lovely R said I should think about it.

4 comments:

Frances Garrood said...

I would never ask a friend for this kind of appraisal. Just supposing she hate it - unlikely, of course - what can she say? A great friend of mine sent me here novel. It was beyond awful! I'm afraid I scrabbled around for little nice things I could say, but hadnt the heart so say what I really felt. Only a dispassionate stranger will give you an honest verdict.

Good luck!

(Forgive misprints. My iPad doesn't like going back again!)

Karen said...

It is very difficult to know what to do for the best, and RS could be right and there was nothing wrong with your excerpt.

I hesitate to recommend people (in case it goes wrong!) but I had a critique and edit of my second novel from Fiction Feedback (www.fictionfeedback.co.uk) that I was very pleased with, and it wasn't overly expensive.

Frances Garrood said...

I did post a comment yesterday, Colette? Did you receive it? I ask because I have used your topic on my own blog. I also wanted to say that 300 words arent nearly enough to judge anything! I've read some marvellous novels where I would have given up after the first 300 words!

Colette McCormick said...

Frances - I'm going to explain myself more clearly in a post. Sorry to hear about your ipad problems.
Karen - thanks for the suggestion - I'll look them up.

Frances- I did receive the first comment (as you can see) but I was at a meeting yesterday and didn't make it over here.