Sunday 14 July 2013

And there's more

Some of you may have noticed more radio silence. That's because less than 48 hours after my last post I was back in hospital. To cut a very long story short I got a lung infection that put me in critical care for 2 weeks followed by 2 weeks on a ward recuperating.

I'm not going to dwell on the details but I have had a lot of thinking time which may well in the future provoke a lot of posts.

Without meaning to sound melodramatic, even though I maybe wasn't aware of it at the time, I was very seriously ill (yeah I know the fact that I was in critical care should have given the game away but somehow it didn't) and that sort of puts a new perspective on life. 

I now realise how tenuous our hold is on it. One minute you're here, the next......you know the rest. Without any rhyme reason or explanation I went from being what I thought was a perfectly healthy (apart from a cold and a bit arthritis) 50 year old to what I am 8 weeks later which is a body that is 3 stone lighter than it was then, that needs a stick to get upstairs and a sit down when it gets there and dialysis 3 times a week.

Hopefully all of this is temporary. The weakness is due to muscle waste and gradually as I move around more and get stronger that should improve, I could have done with the weight off but this is not a diet I would recommend and with any luck my kidneys will start functioning at least enough to get off dialysis.

I know what's real now. I know what's important.

8 comments:

Frances Garrood said...

Colette I'm so sorry you've been so ill, and wish you a very speedy recovery.

Colette McCormick said...

Thanks Frances. I'm sure the rest will come but it's the kidney function I'm praying for.

Teresa Ashby said...

I'm so sorry you've had such a terrible time of it. It must have been terrifying.

I really hope your kidneys start to work properly again and you are back to good health soon xx

Suzanne Ross Jones said...

Colette, I'm so sorry to hear this. Sending love.
Suzanne xx

Kath said...

Thinking of you, Colette, and hoping you won't have to wait too long for things to be better xxx

Colette McCormick said...

Thank you ladies - its was a horrible time but hopefully the worst is behind me. Its just those darned kidneys now. Anyone know any tips on getting them working again? I'm prepared to do anything - and I mean pretty much anything.

Kath said...

Wish I could suggest something but sending love anyway xxx

Colette McCormick said...

Love and good vibes are always welcome and very helpful Kath. Thank you.